Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Rug Hooking

I have been making punch rugs and punch needle but I was never really interested or good at rug hooking.  I even took a class before, I was pretty bad at it too.  Embarrassing to me bad!  My project in the class looked like a 4 year old did it.  So I put my stuff away and just dreamed some day I could take this hobby up again and make something nicer. 
I found a nice lady on Ebay that sells rug hooking kits, all the wool, cut, the pattern on the burlap and a full page color picture as a guide
 
This is how far I got last night.  It seems this may take me a long time to finish this, I bought a pretty big rug
 
This is the back side.  Rug hooking is opposite of rug punch, you work on the right side in hooking and you work on the wrong side on punch needle
 
Looks like a pile of colorful spaghetti!  This is the wool all cut and read to be hooked into the rug

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Looks great :) I'm still working on Pumpkin Head, trying to figure out how to get this thing to work, lol.

Biddie said...

Whew!! What a job - but it will be really nice when you finish. That's a lot of "hooking" - take care of your eyes!

Biddie said...

P.S. The back side is interesting - do you skip strands in your burlap or fill in every space?

Kristen said...

Yes I am a happy little hooker!! My eyes don't hurt as much as one of my fingers, I must be holding the tool in a funny way so it rubs on my middle right finger.

I am not sure what you mean skipping. The front side fills in because the loops or piles, like in carpet are bigger so the back side looks like you have blank spots but you don't when you look at the right side

Priscilla said...

that looks like fun. Hope the cats don't sit on it.

Blog Archive