Thursday, March 25, 2010

My attempt at antique reproduction, Finished Last night


I finished it up last night, now I just have to iron it and get the back side edges turned under and sewed up

Original and reproduction side by side. of course mine is bigger, how do I always do that? I swear, the more space I have the bigger I write, draw, paint, fill up with junk, fill closets, etc Any how, based on the larger sizes of our generation, maybe it's not so bad an idea to have a larger space to plant your butt



This is the front.... where your butt goes

The back side (this is the side I work on)

A comparison of the original and mine

This is the right side, so far what I have done today

This is the back side so far what I have done

This chair pad is OLD, not sure how old but it's starting to fall apart. Too many butts have sat on it over the years! My friend June had our land trust over the other day for a meeting, she lives in a really old house and I was telling her I can make stuff like this with punch rug so she asked me if I could try and make her 2 of these

This is the back side which is not so faded as the front so the colors and pattern are easier to see

I traced the pattern on tracing paper with pencil and then went over it with a dark marker so it would be easier for me to see when I had to trace the pattern onto burlap

So here I got it onto the burlap, now I have to get some yarn that will match the colors the best I can and start punching

I had some extra time on my hands so I colored in the pattern so I didn't have to keep dragging the original around with me, I am afraid it's so frail it will just shred if I keep touching it, although it get sit on a lot!

So here is my pattern and the original side by side
I'll get my yarn this weekend and start working on it. I know it won't look old and I told June that which she understood. I could try to tea stain it, I'll see how it comes out first.

13 comments:

Biddie said...

I had to laugh - you are not shy about calling spades spades and butt-wear butt-wear!!!

Good on you for taking up the challenge - that's a great start with your pattern - good luck with finding your yarns!!!!

Kristen said...

Ha ha, I almost said alot of A.. have sat on it but I was trying to keep it clean!!

Priscilla said...

Great project!
Tea staining--would that make the other colors run or would you do the staining before you started punching?

Kristen said...

Thanks P, Tea Staining will not or should not I should say, make the colors run, it just gives it an old look, I have used tea to stain fabric before, unfortunately it would take 100 years to make this look like the original and I don't have that kind of time so we can improvise a bit

Lori said...

I can't wait to see the finished project!

Jennifer MacNeill said...

I'm impressed, that's pretty neat!

Priscilla said...

I have used tea that stained fabric but it wasn't planned!

Cheryl said...

This is a really interesting project, I can't wait to see how it turns out. Nice job on the pattern :)

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

Hey, that's turning out nicely. Good work you crafty wench, you :)

Priscilla said...

Good work, talented lady!

Cheryl said...

Really nice, Kris. You need to set up your own craft store :)

Kristen said...

Thanks Cheryl, Biddie & Priscilla.
I would love to have a store, that would be my ultimate goal in life but unfortunately the money is not there...

Blog Archive